LEGAL and FOUNDATION INFORMATION
So What Is The Problem?
- Fatty liver and subsequent medical problems are epidemic but largely unknown
- Doctors are often not effective at motivating patients to manage their weight
- People are generally aware of weight concerns but fail to manage it
- Dieting usually fails but diet plans are still a giant industry
- The supplement industry is largely just a consumer fraud
- There is no awareness that liver disease kills in a two decade long process
- There are few effective screening tools for developing liver disease
- The public awareness of liver disease is very limited
Target Population – The common elements – internet users searching for health information
- Any patient or caregiver searching for fatty liver on the internet
- Any dieter who has tried and failed to lose weight and is looking for information
- Any person with any aspect of metabolic syndrome searching for information
- Any person who searches for information about liver disease in general
Why Do We Care?
- The current generation is the first in modern history to have a shorter life expectancy than their parents.
- A fundamental reason is that societal obesity contributes to many disease conditions
- A general lack of understanding of the relationships between diet and health exists.
- There is a great volume of misinformation on the internet rooted in marketing supplements
- Medical care today is ill prepared to counsel people on dietary strategies, choice or consequences